Bookpedia is an excellent application to keep track of the books you have at home. Thanks to a clear interface, you can view all album covers and book information in one go. Using your Apple iSight camera you can scan the bar codes of your books to register them into Bookpedia. And if for some reason you don't have the bar code, Bookpedia will let you look at ten different international search sites and z39.50 library servers. We were also impressed by the Spotlight integration, which makes any piece of information quickly within reach.
The full screen mode, which shows all the album covers, is a nice way of browsing through your titles. Bookpedia also streamlines the way you can create smart collections to keep all your different books organized. We also quite liked being able to create a book wishlist or at least seeing the one you have on Amazon. Bookpedia also lets you keep a note of who has borrowed which book and can generate all sorts of statistics on your collections.
While scanning book bar codes with your iSight camera worked most of the time, it can fail every once a while. Always make sure there's sufficient light and that the bar code is clean. One other little drawback we could also point out is that Bookpedia doesn't let you sort by author last name.
Apart from that, Bookpedia is a top notch application to keep your book collection organized.
- New secret feature (comes into play next week)
- Hovering over links in the info view reveals the link in the bottom window status bar
- Exported images have the same creation and modification dates as the originals for syncing with FTP
- Demo limit increased to 25 items
- Font now adjustable in the list type print
- Holding down option key and using the scroll wheel in cover view resizes covers
- Download cover art for selection also trims white borders for images
- Black dot on close button to show unsaved changes in the edit panel as well as a warning sheet when closing with the close button
- Busy indicator while .Mac preview is being created
- Faster sorting when ignoring articles
- Amazon sales rank added to Marketplace information
- Link creation drags from inside the covers folder to the info view now active
- Automatically removes trailing spaces and new lines from one line fields
- Command-S is caught in the add/edit panel as 'save' to avoid confusion
- Bug fix: "Remove this column" would not remove the clicked column if the contextual menu extended beyond the application window
- Bug fix: when editing directly in the table and then leaving the program while the editing is still active, the cell would then display the value of the next edited cell
- Bug fix: Delicious Library 2 exported 1.5 format file was no longer in alphabetical order and could not be imported
- Bug fix: keyword searches starting with a period where being treated as CueCat encoded barcodes
- Bug fix: if the horizontal scroller was shown at launch the last movie would be hidden behind it
- Bug fix: during window resize the vertical scroller could display a graphic glitch
- Bug fix: a shared collections might not load in latest Leopard 10.5.3 and would cause an error, prompting for a bug report
- Bug fix: In cover view when doing an edit that changed the order of the items, the thumbnails would not reflect the new order immediately
- Take into account multiple disc for the track numbering in the tracks tab